Are you passionate about human rights and a professional/student at the beginning of your human rights career? Do you want to work with communication in an international environment with colleagues all over the world? Then you might be the person we are looking for.
About the role
As Communication Intern you will join the Communications team in coordinating and executing communication activities to support the human rights defenders we work with, and increase awareness about Civil Rights Defenders, in Sweden and globally. The work includes a wide range of communication efforts, such as, writing articles, supporting our media work and contributing to the production of digital and print material. You will also do research and translations as well as take part in our work with campaigns, events and advocacy activities.
You will gain first hand insight into the communications work of an international NGO.
During the internship, we will offer the opportunity to participate in external events, seminars and meetings, as well as internal workshops about our work. The internship is adapted depending on your skills. You will get a supervisor who helps, guides and trains you during the internship.
To be suitable for this internship you have:
- An ongoing or just completed bachelor’s or master's degree in communications, journalism, media production or equivalent.
- Excellent knowledge of speaking and writing in English and Swedish.
- Experience of planning, implementing, and coordinating communication efforts.
- Experience of writing news articles or other texts for publication in traditional or digital media.
- Good understanding of social media and how to work with content production.
- Some skills in WordPress, Adobe Creative suite or easier video editing for social media, and an eagerness to develop your skills within these tools.
- The ability to work independently and responsibly.
- Good skills in Microsoft 365 (Teams, Outlook, Excel, PPT, Word)
- A genuine interest in human rights and a basic knowledge about the issues that Civil Rights Defenders works with.
About the internship
The internship takes place at our head office in Stockholm or remotely from January to June 2022, or in accordance with your education plan. As an organisation, we strive for diversity and we see your background, experience and personality as a contribution to the organisation.
Civil Rights Defenders only accepts interns who have an internship as part of their formal education, if the internship takes place during the study period or is in direct connection with completed studies. The internship is full-time and unpaid, with the possibility of compensation for travel expenses.
Please apply as soon as possible as we recruit on an ongoing basis.
For more information about the internship, please contact:
Maria Granefelt, Communications Director: email@example.com
Civil Rights Defenders is a politically and religiously independent international human rights organisation. We defend people’s civil and political rights in some of the world’s most repressive regions. We partner with and support human rights defenders in more than 300 organisations in 50 countries on four continents. Together with our partners, we hold those in power accountable when people’s civil or political rights are violated. We also act as Sweden’s civil rights watchdog.
Civil Rights Defenders has around 100 staff members working in various functions towards our vision - a world of democratic societies in which we all enjoy our civil and political rights. Our headquarter is located in Stockholm, and we have eight branch offices around the world. Learn more about our work at crd.org.